Friday, April 11, 2014

American Gothic

Recently, I got to collaborate with our amazing art teacher on a project. In art class, the kids created their own Mona Lisa, and in writing we wrote stories about the newly created Mona Lisa. Since writing is one of my favorite hobbies, I wrote a story along with them. I used ‘American Gothic’ as my source of inspiration (I did not partake in the artistry…I don’t have a single ounce of artistic ability…my stick people are sad and scary). It was fun and it may go somewhere…who knows? At least, it held the attention of 90+ fourth graders and it’s really not a kiddie story. J

Part 1 of American Gothic by Stephanie Greenhalgh
(along with some teacher notes):
Beginning: Introduce characters and setting. Use words and descriptions to create pictures.
Maude looked out the window. She inhaled a breath of fresh air. She loved the spring time in Farmtown, IL. The blooming trees and floral scents always made her glad she moved back to farmhouse she grew up in over a century ago.
A cool breeze blew through her open window and the curtains flapped wildly. Maude jumped at her own reflection in the mirror behind the coat rack. Her smooth skin wrinkled and crinkled before her eyes. Her ocean blue eyes darkened to a deep ominous gray, like storm clouds rolling in, just before they reddened and lit up like flames.
“I’m coming for you, old woman,” a wicked voice crooned before the mirror shattered into a million pieces, sending shards of glass flying through the room. Maude hunched over and covered her face, as glass littered the room.
Once the flying glass ceased, Maude stood up. With a flick of her wrist, she restored the shattered mirror and her ageless young skin returned, along with her icey blue eyes. She stalked across the room to the painting above the fireplace and smirked. Glaring at the painting of the old man and woman in front of her farmhouse, she spoke in a loud screeching voice.
“DON’T YOU DARE THREATEN ME, BONNIE AND CLYDE! I WILL BE YOUNG FOREVER!” Maude cackled and stalked to the kitchen to finish her potion.
Meanwhile, a small little voice, locked a dungeon whimpered, “I want my mommy.”
End of Part I

I’ll be posting the rest of the story in increments. Hopefully, you enjoyed it and will check out the rest! Plus I’ve got a ‘Latest Reads’ coming up! I’m currently totally hooked on “The Husband’s Secret” by Liane Moriarty…GOOD!
JHappy ReadingJ



No comments:

Post a Comment